Friday, February 22, 2008

Letter VIII

(In response to Letter VIII of the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis)

"Their nearest approach to constancy, therefore, is undulation—the repeated return to a level from which they repeatedly fall back, a series of troughs and peaks." When I read this the first time I wasn't exactly sure what it meant. After reading it through a few times I am fairly sure that it refers to the fact that within a fallen world the only hope of consistency we have is knowing that there is nothing constant. We can count on the fact that we can't count on anything. Because we are body and soul we know that we are constantly yearning to fulfill our spiritual desires, however, the body aspect of our humanity brings us back down. This is the only thing in life that we can count on. This is not encouraging, but if we are ready for it we can find comfort in that expectation. Lewis also points out the fact that because we are destined to fall back into a trough due to the law of undulation we will therefore find the need pray to God, through our prayers God finds a way to bring us closer to him. "Hence the prayers offered in the state of dryness are those which please Him best." ( I like to take the series of troughs and crests that Lewis describes as a two steps forward one step back approach. We may fall back but we are still moving forward--towards a closer spiritual relationship with God)

"But He never allows this state of affairs to last long. Sooner or later He withdraws, if not in fact, at least from their conscious experience, all those supports and incentives. He leaves the creature to stand up on its own legs—to carry out from the will alone duties which have lost all relish."

I'm not exactly sure how this quote relates to Lewis's beliefs. I struggle to believe that Lewis believes that God would withdrawal himself. Maybe Lewis has a deistic view of God, or maybe I'm reading it wrong. I find it hard to believe that God withdrawals himself from us. This goes into the free-will predestination debate. Regardless, any view that has God withdrawing himself diminishes my view of God, it lessens the personal relationship that I seek with him as well as creates a deistic view.

What are your thoughts? Is Lewis a diest?

1 comment:

Homey said...

I do appreciate your comments on God NEVER drawing away from us. To be honest, this is very much how I felt until I reread these letters. I don't know if my opinion has necessarily completely changed on this issue or if I just see a different point of view in a different light...
Perhaps I should play devil's advocate. Here is a question...In Job's situation, did Job draw away from God and not feel His presence, or did God draw away from him?? I am reading through that book right now, and it offers an interesting example of what we are talking about here. I don't think I can presume to know the answer to that, but what are your thoughts on the issue???