Thursday, February 28, 2008

Vocation

(In response to chapter 5 "Vocation in the Kingdom of God" from Engaging God's World by Plantinga Jr.)

I enjoyed the chapter on Vocation by Plantinga. I felt that it reinforced Lewis's piece on learning in wartime. It outlined for yet another time that education is not to prepare us for a job but to prepare us for kingdom work within the Kingdom of God. "The full value of your education is that it will help you find and prepare for your vocation--which, as we've just seen, is much bigger than any particular occupation."

As a political science major I enjoyed the quote by John Calvin, "civil authority is a calling, not only holy and lawful before God, but also the most sacred and by far the most honorable of all callings in the whole life of mortal men." Especially because I am seeking a career in public service.

Pertaining to the argument between Christian and public education I agreed with his view. I believe that it is easier to learn within a Christian community, where spiritual growth is encouraged and cultivated. I also believe that it is possible to do these things at a public institution; however, I believe that it is much harder because there is not a strong sense of community of believers at a public university. While either school may have believers and unbelievers I believe that it is a better environment for the cultivation of spirituality among young Christians.

(This post is shorter because I feel that we have dealt with this topic and covered it completely.)

No comments: